1. Charlene C Nielsen, Mireia Gascon, Alvaro R Osornio-Vargas, Catherine Shier, David S Guttman, Allan B Becker, Meghan B Azad, Malcolm R Sears, Diana L Lefebvre, Theo J Moraes, Stuart E Turvey, Padmaja Subbarao, Tim K Takaro, Jeffrey R Brook, James A Scott, Piush J Mandhane1, Hein M Tun*, Anita L Kozyrskyj*. Natural environments in the urban context and gut microbiota in infants. Environ Int . 2020 Sep;142:105881. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2020.105881.
2. Hein M Tun, Shucong Li, Ilkyu Yoon, Sarah J Meale, Paula A Azevedo, Ehsan Khafipour, Jan C Plaizier. Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation products (SCFP) stabilize the ruminal microbiota of lactating dairy cows during periods of a depressed rumen pH. BMC Vet Res . 2020 Jul 11;16(1):237. doi: 10.1186/s12917-020-02437-w.
3. Zhang, M., Wang, X., Yang, X., Dong, T., Hu, W., Guan, Q., … Xia, Y. (2020). Increased risk of gestational diabetes mellitus in women with higher prepregnancy ambient PM2.5 exposure. Science of The Total Environment, 138982. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.138982
4. Tun HM and Bruzzone R. 2019. Early-life antibiotic exposure, gut microbiome, and colonization resistance. J Health Sci Altern Med. 1(3):1-5.
5. Drall KM, Tun HM, Morales-lizcano N, Konya TB, Guttman DS, Field CJ, Mandal R, Wishart DS, Becker AB, Azad MB, Lefebvre DL, Mandhane PJ, Moraes TJ, Sears MR, Turvey SE, Subbarao P, Scott JA, Kozyrskyj A. 2019. Clostrdioides difficile colonization is differentially associated with gut microbiome profiles by infant feeding modality at 3 months of age. Front Immunol. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2019.02866.
6. Tan Q, Orsso CE, Deehan EC, Triador L, Field CJ, Tun HM, Han JC, Muller TD, Haqq AM. 2019. Current and emerging therapies for managing hyperphagia and obesity in Prader-Willi syndrome: A narrative review. Obes Reviews. doi: 10.1111/obr.12992.
7. Drall KM, Tun HM, Kozyrskyj AL. 2018. Commentary: The influence of proton pump inhibitors on the fecal microbiome of infants with gastroesophageal reflux-a prospective longitudinal interventional study. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 8:430.
8. Tun MH, Tun HM, Mahoney JJ, Konya TB, Guttman DS, Becker AB, Mandhane PJ, Turvey SE, Subbarao P, Sears MR, Brook JR, Lou W, Takaro TK, Scott JA, Kozyrskyj AL, CHILD Study Investigators. 2018. Postnatal exposure to household disinfectants, infant gut microbiota and subsequent risk of overweight in children. CMAJ. 190(37):E1097-E1107. [Featured in CNN, USA Today etc. Most popular paper in 2018 by CMAJ with an Altmetric score of 1224. Editors’ choice for Podcast.]
9. Zhang Z, Tun HM, Li R, Gonzalez BJM, Keenes HC, Nyachoti CM, Kiarie E, Khafipour E. 2018. Impact of xylanases on gut microbiota of growing pigs fed corn- or wheat-based diets. Anim Nutr. 4(4):339-350.
10. Obiakor VC, Tun HM, Bridgman SL, Arrieta M, Kozyrskyj AL. 2018. The association between early life antibiotic use and allergic disease in young children: recent insights and their implications. Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 14(10):841-855.
11. Ho NT, Li F, Lee-Sarwar KA, Tun HM, Brown BP, Pannaraj PS, Bender JM, Azad MB, Thompon AL, Weiss ST, Azcarate-Peril MA, Litonjua AA, Kozyrskyj AL, Jaspan HB, Aldrovandi GM, Kuhn L. 2018. Meta-analysis of effects of exclusive breastfeeding on infant gut microbiota across populations. Nat Commun. 9(1):4169.
12. Forbes JD, Azad MB, Vehling L, Tun HM, Konya TB, Guttman DS, Field CJ, Lefebvre D, Sears MR, Becker AB, Mandhane PJ, Turvey SE, Moraes TJ, Subbarao P, Scott JA, Kozyrskyj AL. 2018. Association of Exposure to Formula in hospital and subsequent infant feeding practices with gut microbiota and overweight risk in the first year of life. JAMA Pediatr. 172(7):e181161. Featured in CNN, Physician’s Briefing etc. Editors’ choice for iTune Podcast- July 2018. Highly Cited Paper in the field of Clinical Medicine.
13. Ndou SP, Tun HM, Kiarie E, Walsh MC, Khafipour E, Nyachoti CM. 2018. Dietary supplementation with flaxseed meal and oat hulls modulates intestinal histomorphometric characteristics, digesta- and mucosa-associated microbiota in pigs. Sci Rep. 8(1):5880.
14. Tun HM, Bridgman SL, Chari R, Field CJ, Guttman DS, Becker AB, Mandhane PJ, Turvey SE, Subbarao P, Sears MR, Scott JA, Kozyrskyj AL, the CHILD study investigators. 2018. Intergenerational transmission of overweight and obesity from mother to offspring: roles of birth mode and infant gut microbiota. JAMA Pediatr. 172(4):368-377. [Featured in New York Time, Science Daily, Physician’s Briefing etc. Editors’ choice for iTune Podcast- April 2018. One of the top 5 news stories of the year 2018, FoMD, U of Alberta. Highly Cited Paper in the field of Clinical Medicine.]
15. Liu S*, Tun HM*, Leung FC, Bennett DC, Zhang H, Cheng KM. 2018. Interaction of genotype and diet on small intestine microbiota of Japanese quail fed a cholesterol enriched diet. Sci Rep. 8(1):2381
16. Koleva PT, Tun HM, Shestopaloff K, Konya T, Guttman DS, Becker AB, Mandhane PJ, Turvey SE, Subbarao P, Sears MR, CHILD Study Investigators, Scott JA, Kozyrskyj AL. 2017. Sex-specific impact of asthma during pregnancy on infant gut microbiota. Eur Respir J. 50(5):1700280.
17. Yasmin F, Tun HM, Dinu I, Azad MB, Konya T, Guttman DS, Field CJ, Chari RS, Sears MR, Subbarao P, Mandhane PJ, Turvey SE, Becker AB, Scott JA, Kozyrskyj AL and the CHILD Study Investigators. 2017. Caesarean section, formula feeding, and infant antibiotic exposure: separate and combined impacts on gut microbial changes in later infancy. Front Pediatr. 5:200.
18. Tun HM, Matenchuk BA, Kozyrskyj AL. 2017. Gut microbial-induced inflammation: normal aging or lifestyle changes? J Lab Precis Med. 2:48. Invited Editorial.
19. Liu R*, Tun HM*, Jahan M, Farenhorst A, Kumar A, Fernando DW, Khafipour E. 2017. Comparison of DNA-, PMA-, and RNA-based 16S rRNA illumina sequencing for detection of live bacteria in water. Sci Rep. 7:5752.
20. Zhao Q, Harbour SN, Kolde R, Latorre I, Tun HM, Schoeb TR, Moon J, Khafipour E, Xavier RJ, Weaver CT, Elson CO. 2017. Selective induction of homeostatic Th17 cells in the murine intestine by cholera toxin interacting with the microbiota. J Immunol. 199(1):312-322. This paper is featured by the “In This Issue” section of the journal, which highlights articles considered to be among the top 10% of articles published in the journal.
21. Tun HM, Konya T, Takaro TK, Brook JR, Chari R, Field CJ, Guttman D, Becker AB, Mandhane PJ, Turvey SE, Subbarao P, Sears MR, Scott JA, Kozyrskyj AL and the CHILD Study Investigators. 2017. Exposure to household furry pets influences the gut microbiota of infant at 3-4 months following various birth scenarios. Microbiome. 5(1):40. The most popular microbiome paper of the year 2017 (by BMC and Microbiome Digest) with an Altmetric score of 931. Featured in TIME, Reuters, Reader’s Digest, USA Today, Science Daily etc. The paper was also highlighted in BMJ’s Veterinary Record. One of the top 5 news stories of the year 2017, FoMD, U of Alberta.
22. Wu Q, Tun HM, Law Y, Khafipour E, Shah NP. 2017. Common distribution of gad operon in Lactobacillus brevis and its GadA contributes to efficient GABA synthesis towards cytosolic near-neutral pH. Front Microbiol. 8:206.
23. Farenhorst A, Li R, Jahan M, Tun HM, Mi R, Mudiyansel IA, Kumar A, Khafipour E. 2017. Bacteria in drinking water sources of a first nation reserve in Canada. STOTEN. 575:813-819.
24. Plaizier JC, Li S, Tun HM, Khafipour E. 2017. Nutritional models of experimentally induced subacute ruminal acidosis (SARA) differ in their impact on rumen and hindgut bacterial communities in dairy cows. Front Microbiol. 7:2128.
25. Derakhshani H, Tun HM, Alqarni S, Cardoso FC, Plaizier JC, Khafipour E, Loor JJ. 2016. Linking peripartal dynamics of ruminal microbiota to dietary changes and production parameters. Front Microbiol. 7:2143.
26. Fernando D, Tun HM, Poole J, Patidar R, Li R, Mi R, Amarwansha G, Fernando D, Khafipour E, Farenhorst A, Kumar A. 2016. Detection of antibiotic resistance genes in source and drinking water samples from a first nation community in Canada. Applied Environ Microbiol. 82(15):4767-4775.
27. Khafipour E, Li S, Tun HM, Derakhshani H, Moosavi S, Plaizier JC. 2016. Effects of grain feeding on microbiota in the digestive tract of cattle. Animal Frontiers. 6(2): 13-19.
28. Zhang W, Hartmann R, Tun HM, Elson CO, Khafipour E, Garvey WT. 2016. Deletion of the Toll-like receptor 5 gene in mice does not determine the gut microbiome profile that induces metabolic syndrome: environment trumps genotype. PloS One. 11(3):e0150943.
29. Tun HM, Cai Z, Khafipour E. 2016. Monitoring the survivability and infectivity of porcine epidemic diarrhoea virus (PEDv) in infected on-farm earthen manure storages (EMS). Front Microbiol. 7:265.
30. Wang Y, Ames NP, Tun HM, Jones PJ, Khafipour E. 2016. High molecular weight β-glucan alters gut microbiota towards reduced cardiovascular disease risk. Front Microbiol. 7:129.
31. Ng J, Chan Y, Tun HM, Leung FC, Shin PKS, Chiu JMY. 2015. Pyrosequencing of the coral Platygyra carnosus reveals shift in bacterial community composition associated with skeletal tissue growth anomalies. Front Microbiol. 6:1142.
32. Liu S, Bennett DC, Tun HM, Kim J, Zhang H, Leung FC, Cheng KM. 2015. The effect of diet and host genotype on ceca microbiota of Japanese quail fed a cholesterol enriched diet. Front Microbiol. 6:1092.
33. Derakhshani H, Tun HM, Khafipour E. 2015. The impacts of extended single-indexing multiplexed 16S rRNA sequencing on taxonomic identification and diversity analysis. J Basic Microbiol. 56:321-326.
34. Lu WH*, Tun HM*, Sun BL, Mo JY, Zhou QF, Deng YX, Xie QM, Bi YZ, Leung FC, Ma JY. 2015. Re-emerging of porcine respiratory and reproductive syndrome virus (lineage 3) and increased pathogenicity after genomic recombination with vaccine variant. Vet Micro. 175(2-4):332-240.
35. Tun HM, Wisedchanwet T, Wongphatcharachai M, Nonthabenjawan N, Chaiyawong S, Theamboonlers A, Poovorawan Y, Amonsin A. 2014. Development of one-step reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) as a screening tool for influenza A viruses. TJVM. 44(4):427-434.
36. Ahad A, Thornton RN, Rabbani M, Yaqub T, Younus M, Muhammad K, Mahmood A, Shabbir MZ, Kashem MA, Islam MZ, Mangtani P, Dhand NK, Burgess GW, Tun HM, Hoque MA. 2014. Risk factors for H7 infection in commercial poultry farm workers in provinces within Pakistan. Prev Vet Med. 117(3-4):610-614.
37. Jiang J*, Tun HM*, Yuen CS, Leung FC. 2014. Complete Genome sequence of Klebsiella oxytoca HKOP isolated from Giant Panda Feces. BMC Res Notes. 7:827.
38. Hoque MA, Hassan MM, Haque ME, Shaikat AH, Khan SA, Alim A, Skerratt LF, Islam A, Tun HM, Dissanayake R, Day TK, Debnath NC, Yamage M. 2014. A survey on gastro-intestinal parasites in domestic and wild birds in different areas of Chittagong and Greater Sylhet, Bangladesh. Prev Vet Med. 117(1):305-312.
39. Ma AP, Jing J, Tun HM, Mauroo NF, Yuen CS, Leung FC. 2014. Complete genome sequence of Staphylococcus xylosus HKUOPL8, a potential opportunistic pathogen of mammals. Genome Announc. 2(4):e00653-14.
40. Wu Q, Tun HM, Leung FC, Shah N. 2014. Genomic insights into high exopolysaccharide-producing dairy starter bacterium Streptococcus thermophiles ASCC 1275. Sci Rep. 4:4794.
41. Park T, Ding W, Cheng S, Brar MS, Ma APY, Tun HM, Leung FC. 2014. Microbial community in microbial fuel cell (MFC) medium and effluent enriched with purple photosynthetic bacterium (Rhodopseudomonas sp.). AMB Express. 4:22.
42. Tun HM, Mauroo NF, Yuen CS, Ho JCW, Wong MT, Leung FC. 2014. Microbial diversity and evidence of novel homoacetogens in the gut of giant panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca). PloS One. 9(1):e79902.
43. Hoque MA*, Tun HM*, Hassan MM, Khan SA, Islam MN, Giasuddin M, Osmani MG, Islam MA, Thornton RN, Burgess GW, Skerratt LF, Selleck P, Burn E, Debnath NC, Leung FC. 2013. Molecular epidemiology of Influenza A (H5N1) viruses, Bangladesh, 2007-2011. Prev Vet Med. 111:314-318.
44. Bennett DC*, Tun HM*, Kim JE, Leung FC, Cheng KM. (2013) Characterization of cecal microbiota of the Emu (Dromaius novaehollandiae). Vet Microbiol. 166:304-310.
45. Wong MT, Zhang D, Li J, Hui RK, Tun HM, Brar MS, Park T, Chen Y, Leung FC. 2013. Towards a metagenomic understanding on enhanced biomethane production from waste activated sludge after pH 10 pretreatment. Biotechnol Biofuels. 6:38.
46. Islam SK, Alauddin M, Hassan MM, Khan SA, Alam MR, Hossain MB, Ahasan AS, Saifuddin AK, Sultana S, Tun HM, Shaikat AH, Debnath NC, Hoque MA. 2012. Biochemical analysis on blood and crop contents of household chickens along with their production and health status in Bangladesh. Pakistan Vet J. 32(4):575-578.
47. Lam TT, Hon CC, Lemey P, Pybus OG, Shi M, Tun HM, Li J, Jiang J, Holmes EC, Leung FC. 2012. Phylodynamics of H5N1 avian influenza virus in Indonesia. Mol Ecol. 21(12):3062-77.
48. Tun HM, Brar MS, Khin N, Jun L, Hui RK, Dowd SE, Leung FC. 2012. Gene-centric metagenomics analysis of feline intestinal microbiome using 454 junior pyrosequencing. J Microbiol Methods. 88(3):369-76.
49. Tun HM, Shi M, Wong CL, Ayudhya SN, Amonsin A, Thanawongnuwech R, Leung FC. 2011. Genetic diversity and multiple introductions of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome viruses in Thailand. Virol J. 8:164.
Kozyrskyj A, Tun HM, Bridgman S. The microbiome and control of weight gain. In: Pediatric obesity: etiology, pathogenesis, and treatment, 2nd Edition. Edited by Freemark MS. Springer. Pages 63-78.
Tun HM, Leung FC, Cheng KM. 2016. The role of diet and host genotype in affecting intestinal microbiota related to cardiovascular diseases. In: The Gut Microbiome- implications for human disease. Edited by McCall K, Guo A, Schwartz F. InTech- Open Access Publisher. Pages 67-84.
Wong MT, Zhang D, Li J, Hui RK, Tun HM, Brar MS, Park T, Chen Y, Leung FC. 2016. Towards a metagenomic understanding on enhanced biomethane production from waste activated sludge after pH 10 pretreatment. In: Environmental engineering and activated sludge processes model, methodologies, and applications. Edited by Sanchez O. Apple Academic Press. Pages 237-265.
Tun HM, Donogh JC, Meakin D, Khafipour E. 2015. Manitoba’s PEDv research supports local industry: Survivability and infectivity of PEDv in infected manure storage lagoons. Western Hog Journal, spring. Pages 62-64.
Tun HM and Kozyrskyj AL. 2018. If you need a reason to become a furry pet lover, how about their ability to help protect kids from allergies and obesity? Atlas of Science.